Should a Christian become a Mason or join the lodge?

Los santos

JF-Expert Member
Jan 14, 2021
From time to time, I have people ask me about Freemasonry and whether or not a Christian should be a member of the Masonic Lodge. This is especially popular among those who want to better themselves and be a better person and hoping to express religious efforts.

Whether Freemasons admit it or not, two high-level Masons, Albert Pike and Albert Mackey opening speak of the religious aspects of Freemasons. Albert Pike states: "Every Masonic Lodge is a temple of religion and its teachings are instructions in religion." Albert Mackey stated: "The religion of Masonry is not Christianity."

In spite of that, some Christians insist that they can be both a Christian and a Mason. Please consider the following reasons why no Christian should be a Mason:

REASON #1) JESUS FORBIDS THE SWEARING OF SECRET OATHS

One of the requirements of being a Mason is swearing an oath that involves some pretty bizarre language. Here is one example from the First-Degree oath of a Mason in which after swearing a long list of promises, you must conclude by repeating the following…

“To all of which I do solemnly and sincerely promise and swear, without any hesitation, mental reservation, or secret evasion of mind in me whatsoever; binding myself under no less a penalty than that of having my body severed in twain, my bowels taken thence, and with my body burned to ashes, and the ashes thereof scattered to the four winds of Heaven, that there might remain neither track, trace nor remembrance among man or Masons of so vile and perjured a wretch as I should be, should I ever knowingly or willfully violate this, my solemn Obligation of a Master Mason. So help me God and make me steadfast to keep and perform the same.”

Pretty bizarre, huh?

In Matthew 5:34-37, Jesus plainly stated: “But I say unto you, SWEAR NOT AT ALL; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne: nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King. Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black. But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: FOR WHATSOEVER IS MORE THAN THESE COMETH OF EVIL.”

Pay attention to the last part of that statement from our Lord, “…whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.” If you can’t just say yes or no, but must be bound by an oath that you must swear to secrecy, you need to beware. The Lodge gets pretty evil pretty fast.

The apostle James took this very serious as well and said…

“BUT ABOVE ALL THINGS, MY BRETHREN, SWEAR NOT, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; LEST YE FALL INTO CONDEMNATION.” (James 5:12)

One characteristic of a cult is its secrecy. This should cause warnings when you are demanded to swear to secrecy on all levels of the Lodge.

Jesus said, “I spake openly to the world; I ever taught in the synagogue, and in the temple, whither the Jews always resort; and IN SECRET HAVE I SAID NOTHING.” (John 18:20)

REASON #2) - MASONS PROMOTES AN ECUMENICAL CHRIST-LESS RELIGION OF GOOD WORKS

In, The Encyclopedia of Freemasonry, on pages 618-619, Albert G. Mackey openly admits that Masons have their own religion. He says, “Freemasonry is NOT Christianity nor a substitute for it…but the religion of Masonry is not sectarian. It admits men of every creed within its hospitable bosom, rejecting none and approving none for his particular faith…Masonry is, indeed, a religious institution…”

This is tragic to say the least! Each member of the Lodge member is encouraged to find the best way to God – whichever works best for him. However, they are forbidden to pray in Jesus name. They are taught that heaven is gained by our own good works, while Christ's redemption on the cross is never mentioned in anyway. But the Lord Jesus Christ said, "I am the way, the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me" (John 14:6). Masonry does not worship the Father in spirit and in truth (John 4:23).

According to which Lodge you attend, you can see various religious/occultic icons and symbols displayed, many times alongside the Bible. The ideal that ALL religions are valid is an underlining belief within Freemasonry.

A 32nd and 33rd degree Mason swears their binding oath in the name of "Allah, the God of our Fathers”. Interestingly, you will see the crescent moon and star among the Shriners and their open arms to Islamic teachings. (Many of the Shrine Centers in other parts of the world have Arabic names.) And I’m not making that up, here is their own words…

"Be assured that God is equally present with the pious Hindu in his temple, the Jew in the synagogue, the Muslim in the mosque and the Christian in the church.” Albert Mackey, Mackey's Revised Encyclopedia of Freemasonry

Sadly, without many members of Freemasons realizing it, Masons use secret symbols and rituals, all based on ancient pagan "mysteries religions" including Osiris, Mithras and Attis

REASON #3) - MASONRY TEACHES THE FALSE DOCTRINE OF UNIVERSALISM

I have had several people give me their copy of the Masonic Bible. All of them have the famous symbol on the cover (it also appears on their rings). When you read the introduction of their bible, here’s what it states…

“For Masonry knows, what so many forget, that religions are many, but Religion is one - perhaps we may say one thing, but that one thing includes everything - the life of God in the soul of man, and the duty and hope of man which proceed from His essential character. Therefore, it invites to its altar men of all faiths, knowing that, if they use different names for "the Nameless One of a hundred names," they are yet praying to the one God and Father of all; knowing, also, that while they read different volumes, they are in fact reading the same vast Book of the Faith of Man as revealed in the struggle and sorrow of the race in its quest of God.”

This is the strongest statement of universalism you will read anywhere! This is the very foundation of what Freemasons believe. Here is a clear statement from Manly P. Hall, one of the most respected, high ranking Masons, who writes and confirms the heresy of universalism…

“The true Mason is not creed-bound. He realizes with the divine illumination of his Lodge that as a Mason his religion must be universal: Christ, Buddha, or Mohammed, the name means little, for he recognizes only the light and not the bearer. He worships at every shrine, bows before every altar, whether in temple, mosque or cathedral, realizing with his truer understanding the oneness of all spiritual truth.” (The Lost Keys of Freemasonry, page 65)

Clearly, any Bible believing Christian would have a problem with that belief system. This is in direct opposition of what the apostle Peter said in Acts 4:12…

“NEITHER IS THERE SALVATION IN ANY OTHER: for THERE IS NONE OTHER NAME under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.”

The Bible does not teach that it is one of many paths to God. Jesus claims to be the one and only way to God (John 14:6), so either He is telling the truth, or He is lying.

There are many sincere people who are members of Freemasonry in all its various forms. But, like all other cults, people being sincere does not change what the false cults are teaching. Most people involved in Freemasonry have little to no knowledge of what God’s Word says about these things.

Freemasonry teaches that we are able to improve our own lives in various ways, including acts of charity, moral living, and voluntary acts in their community, and are able to gain salvation by making oneself better. But the heart of the Gospel is that man is hopeless in his attempts to gain salvation by his good deeds. Therefore, Christ died and rose to redeem all who will put their faith and trust in Him and what He accomplished at the cross. Membership in the Lodge does NOT help bring a person to God – faith alone in Christ alone does that!

As you can see in this short post, there are many things that directly conflict with Freemasonry and Biblical Christianity. There are tons of material online to help those who want to study this subject deeper. God bless you all

John Muncy