Running away at the age of 13 from an arranged marriage to become an advocate against the crime of female genital mutilation (FGM)

Shining Light

JF-Expert Member
Jan 8, 2024
Waris Dirie is a Somali model, actress, author, and primarily a human rights activist who has fervently fought against female genital mutilation. Born in 1965, but what was her journey like? How did this Somali girl become an activist in a world where male voices dominate?

Known as the child of the desert from a nomadic family living near the Somali and Ethiopian border, she ran away from her family with the help of her mother when she turned 13, as her father had arranged a marriage for her. In African tradition, the voice of a woman isn't often heard, and her mother didn't have much say in the matter.

Luckily, after enduring the endless expanse of the desert, facing hunger, cold nights, and scorching days, she found herself in Mogadishu and eventually traveled to London to work as a maid.

Living in London illegally, she managed to learn how to read and write English while working at a fast-food restaurant. During her time there, she was discovered by photographer Terence Donovan, who catapulted her modeling career. In 1995, a documentary titled "A Nomad in New York," proposed by the BBC, showcased her journey.

In 1997, the United Nations Population Fund asked her to combat female genital mutilation (FGM) after she saw statistics from WHO, which gave her the courage to fight against this crime. She agreed to return to Africa to share her story and raise awareness about this issue.

waris-dirie-gallery-01-06.jpg

She believed, "From the moment God saved me from a lion, I felt he had a plan for me, some reason to keep me alive. My faith tells me God has work for me to do, and this is my mission."

Once again, the nomad living in New York became "Desert Flower: The Extraordinary Journey of a Desert Nomad" (1998).

Waris Dirie is a Somali model, actress, author, and primarily a human rights activist who has fervently fought against female genital mutilation. Born in 1965, but what was her journey like? How did this Somali girl become an activist in a world where male voices dominate?

Known as the child of the desert from a nomadic family living near the Somali and Ethiopian border, she ran away from her family with the help of her mother when she turned 13, as her father had arranged a marriage for her. In African tradition, the voice of a woman isn't often heard, and her mother didn't have much say in the matter.

Luckily, after enduring the endless expanse of the desert, facing hunger, cold nights, and scorching days, she found herself in Mogadishu and eventually traveled to London to work as a maid.

Living in London illegally, she managed to learn how to read and write English while working at a fast-food restaurant. During her time there, she was discovered by photographer Terence Donovan, who catapulted her modeling career. In 1995, a documentary titled "A Nomad in New York," proposed by the BBC, showcased her journey.

In 1997, the United Nations Population Fund asked her to combat female genital mutilation (FGM) after she saw statistics from WHO, which gave her the courage to fight against this crime. She agreed to return to Africa to share her story and raise awareness about this issue.

She believed, "From the moment God saved me from a lion, I felt he had a plan for me, some reason to keep me alive. My faith tells me God has work for me to do, and this is my mission."

Once again, the nomad living in New York became "Desert Flower: The Extraordinary Journey of a Desert Nomad" (1998).
That was not easy. She was very very lucky.

Back
Top Bottom