Cost comparison SGR Kenya vs SGR Tanzania

Malaysia-made locomotives on global rail map​

By MENG YEW CHOONG
  • NATION
  • Saturday, 21 Aug 2021

1264219.jpg

Several units of the made-in-Malaysia H10 diesel locomotive will be sent to Tanzania in September under an export deal.

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia is now officially an exporter of heavy locomotives to the world with the successful launch of the H10 Series by SMH Rail Sdn Bhd.

The feat, now listed in the Malaysia Book of Records as the “First Locally Manufactured Locomotive for Export”, means Malaysia is now on the global rail map with its ability to export diesel electric locomotives used for the bulk of rail cargo transport all across the developed world.

The Malaysian-manufactured H10 Series is proof of local capability in putting together a sophisticated product that will serve the demanding requirements of moving heavy cargo across long distances with a high degree of reliability.

“The H10 Series locomotives provide an intrinsic value to the environment and railway ecosystem together with innovation in design engineering that will fuel green operations,” said Datuk PK Nara, chairman and managing director of SMH Rail at the virtual launch of the H10 at its plant in Rasa, Selangor, yesterday.

“The Malaysian-made H10 Series locomotives showcase Malaysia’s expertise in the rolling stock market, and is four times more fuel efficient than road freight transport on average,” said Nara.

The product incorporates the latest technology to deliver the best fuel and operational efficiency, he added.

SMH Rail’s success is reflected by it clinching several export deals for 15 of these locomotives in contracts costing around RM200mil.

For example, Tanzania will receive several units of the H10 next month as the African country embarks on a modernisation drive for rail infrastructure, including the procurement of the latest rolling stock.

“The export of the H10 to Tanzania Railways Corporation is a significant achievement considering that it has ambitions to become a regional rail hub, and its decision to procure the H10 with World Bank funding speaks volumes of the trust in the product.

“I am confident that these locomotives will bring enormous economic benefits to the African rail cargo industry.

“It is efficient in bridging connectivity, increasing supply-chain access, accelerating industrialisation and promoting cross-border trade,” said Nara.

He revealed that the diesel engine that powers the H10 with an output of 3,300hp is sourced from its global technical partners.

The expertise in putting together a reliable diesel electric locomotive goes way beyond just the engine, and SMH’s determination to integrate all components seamlessly has led it to produce the first truly Malaysian-designed, -engineered and -manufactured diesel electric locomotive for the export market.

The H10’s fuel efficiency ensures “high reliability and availability for improved operational efficiency, increased haulage capacity and reduction of maintenance challenges,” said Nara.

“The H10 Series marks a cornerstone achievement for our company in the global rail industry,” he said, as it is more than 60% locally manufactured.

In its journey over two decades, SMH Rail has emerged as Malaysia’s leading rolling stock manufacturer and maintenance, repair and overhaul service provider with presence in more than 20 countries.

“We have been working closely with our partners from both the local and global railway industry building up to the launch the H10 Series.

“Its practical design ensures high reliability and availability for improved operational efficiency, increased haulage capacity, and reduction of maintenance challenges, resulting in lower overall life cycle costs,” said Nara.

Highly advanced in technology than DF8s

Another oil consignment destination Uganda

MY TAKE
Towards August 2022 elections in Kenya, i am pretty sure for the whole of next year much of Uganda oil will be going through a safer central corridor!

Meanwhile Tanzania Railways is expecting more MGR rolling stocks from China and Malaysia in September. While South Korea is assembling rolling stocks for both MGR and electrical SGR.

Another oil consignment destination Uganda

MY TAKE
Towards August 2022 elections in Kenya, i am pretty sure for the whole of next year much of Uganda oil will be going through a safer central corridor!

Meanwhile Tanzania Railways is expecting more MGR rolling stocks from China and Malaysia in September. While South Korea is assembling rolling stocks for both MGR and electrical SGR.

Mafuta ya Uganda sikuhisi hupelekwa na bomba la mafuta hadi 10km from Kisumu port kwenye depot 😁😁😁

I thought they said this was advanced.. Hapa kwa dashboard kila kitu ni manual, hakuna LED screens, hata buttons hakuna, Ni nobes and levers... Definitely not controlled by onboard Computer System...

E9PvmIGVIAICOjm
Ile mitungi yenyu ya chang'aa ina LED dashboard sio?

Dhk5kM6W0AAtCLL

Wiki iliyopita consignment ya GBP kutoka Tanga port

The whole train is less than 1 million litters, our pipeline can pump 1 million litters in one hour! It's not even a competition! Tunangoja Uganda wamalize ujenzi wa their new oil jetty that will have a direct pipeline connection to storage tanks right from the jetty (as similar facility is already in place in Kisumu) hapo ndo tutakua tumeimaliza hii game for good! We won't even need the ro-ro ships, we can deploy actual oil tankers

The whole train is less than 1 million litters, our pipeline can pump 1 million litters in one hour! It's not even a competition! Tunangoja Uganda wamalize ujenzi wa their new oil jetty that will have a direct pipeline connection to storage tanks right from the jetty (as similar facility is already in place in Kisumu) hapo ndo tutakua tumeimaliza hii game for good! We won't even need the ro-ro ships, we can deploy actual oil tankers
With oil and refinery coming onstream Uganda will not need oil imports rather will export oil to its neighbours EACOP has a reverse flow mechanism oil can flow either way.

Aawapi last time in May mlikuwa mnajitamba kusafirisha 20 mln liters with Mv Uhuru since a restart!

MY TAKE
U r even claiming Tanzanian ships! 😅 ☝️

Aawapi last time in May mlikuwa mnajitamba kusafirisha 20 mln liters with Mv Uhuru since a restart!

MY TAKE
U r even claiming Tanzanian ships! 😅 ☝️

Acha ujinga, MV Uhuru has transported more than 50 million litres of oil to Uganda since it's relaunch.

now lets get to maths! 10 round trips in a month!

Assume the trips started on January 2020, take that 60,000 tons * 17 *10 = 10,200,000 tons!
Toa ujinga wako, hapa. Kwanza hujaelewa what the tweet is talking about na pia hata hesabu hujui😂😂😂. Let me take you to class before I log out.

First, 1 tonne = 1,000kg
1 Kg = 1L

So 1 tonne = 1,000L
60,000t will be
(1,000L × 60,000t) ÷ 1t =60,000,000L.

I think you can now see where the 60 million litres are coming from.

Toa ujinga wako, hapa. Kwanza hujaelewa what the tweet is talking about na pia hata hesabu hujui😂😂😂. Let me take you to class before I log out.

First, 1 tonne = 1,000kg
1 Kg = 1L

So 1 tonne = 1,000L
60,000t will be
(1,000L × 60,000t) ÷ 1t =60,000,000L.

I think you can now see where the 60 million litres are coming from.
well though i made a mistake still 60,000,000L/10 rounds per month/ 17 months u get 352,941 liters per round, way smaller compared to an MGR fuel train to Uganda from Tanzania with 855,000 liters!

Don't worry tunaenda kugawana Uganda's fuel business after new rolling stock arrive!

Back
Top Bottom