The family cash cow

Jasusi

JF-Expert Member
May 5, 2006
The pain of being the family cash cow Send to a friend
Sunday, 03 February 2013 11:09

000000000000000000000cashha.jpg
In Tanzanian culture, when you win some bread, you win it for the whole extended family. There is nothing like ‘my salary’, your money is for all and sundry
By Sharifa Kalokola
Amina Hussein (not her real name) is in a financial mess. After taking home her January salary a few days ago, her bank statement is now back to the zero balance. She has blown away all her money in settling her own bills, plus those of the extended family of nine. And now, she feels like she does not have a life of her own anymore.
The family cash cow. It is the title that aptly describes Amina, who graduated two years ago with a degree in dentistry, and right away got a job with a private hospital in Dar es Salaam.
As the year begins, and families are still struggling to get their life back in line Financially, many family breadwinners like Amina are feeling the pressure on their pockets.
From school fees and rentals to food and other basic family needs, there is so much on the ‘to pay’ list of the ‘family cash cow’.
“I feel that I don’t have a life. I work in a private hospital and I am paid Sh700,000 per month. But the money is not enough for all the family members,” says Amina, who comes from a poor background.
Her provider role started when she was still in college. She was forced to use part of the loan to settle her family bills, including providing for her parents.
“I don’t remember the last time that I bought a nice dress or went out to dinner with my friends. I haven’t moved out of the family house like my peers have done,” she says.
In college, Amina used only a small portion of her loan to buy food, stationeries and toiletries. The rest of her money was sent back home to take care of her family.
“I never enjoyed college life because I was always broke. I sometimes used to survive on a loaf of bread per day, or share a plate of food with another broke student,” she says.
Amina pays school fees for her two brothers. She is the only one who contributes towards food for her family, and also clears the monthly water and electricity bills.
Her parents are jobless, and their deteriorating health demands Amina’s money for occasional hospital care.
But with all her overwhelming responsibilities, Amina still feels that she is not flashing her hard-earned money in the toilet. She has high hopes that her contribution will pay in the future.
“One of my brothers is just about to finish college. I know that when he gets a job he will assist me with paying the bills. Besides when I get old I know I will have people who will be there for me,” she says.
Her situation is not uncommon in Tanzania. The extended family is still a core part of the culture; hence, supporting one’s close and distant relatives is considered an obligation.

An African thing
Emmanuel Shemaghembe, a social anthropologist at the University of Dar es Salaam says helping relatives is not something negative because in Tanzania, it is taboo for one to run away from his or her family responsibilities.
“Refusing to help relatives is against our tradition. Many Tanzanian homes are made up of extended families, so it is unavoidable to give assistance either financially or emotionally,” he says.
He says it’s better to help a relative with settling bills like school fees or start-up capital for business than leaving that person to be a family burden in the future.
“If a young man does not study or does not have a stepping stone to start earning a living there is the possibility of his future being ruined. He can become a bandit and if it’s a woman she can become a prostitute,” he says.
Shemaghembe says that behind most successful people in Tanzania are many relatives who helped them reach where they are.
“The modern lifestyle where people believe in taking care of only the immediate family (parents and children) is a capitalist way of life. In our culture, family is extended beyond parents and children,” he explains.
Corroborating, Dr Godius Kahyarara, a senior lecturer of economics at the University of Dar es Salaam, says it is important for family members to help each other out.
“In a poor country like Tanzania, it is important to maintain the culture of families helping each other. Most people who ask for help do not take advantage of anyone but they are really struggling to get their own money and that’s the reason they are asking for help,” he says.
However, he is quick to point out that to survive in such a situation one needs to have sound financial plan.

Never gets broke
“Interestingly, the person who gives never gets broke. The principle here is distributing the money so as to remain with enough money for spending and saving,” he advises.
Even when it comes to faith matters, giving is enforced.
“Love your neighbour just as you love yourself,” Bishop Peter Kitula of the Africa Inland Church says, quoting the Bible.
“Giving is a personal choice, but it has to be done when a person has the ability of giving, and also considering the weight of the problem,” he says.
Nassor Seif, a Muslim scholar in Tanga says giving alms is one of the Five Pillars of Islam. He says in Islam, wealth becomes pure by giving some of it away.
“Sharing wealth helps to control greed,” he says, adding, “It is sinful for people to neglect their family. There are people that we are obliged to take care of such as children, wives and parents.”

Fear of isolation
There is also a group of people who have found themselves isolated after failing to take care of their extended families.
Hussein Waziri, says his family isolated him two years ago after he refused to contribute to the welfare of his relatives.
“I no longer fit in my family. I am not invited to family celebrations. But this only happened after I refused to give money to my relatives,” he tells Sound Living.
Justifying his decision, the 51-year-old adds: “I have too many responsibilities to take care of. I have two wives and five children who go to private schools. I wish I could help but I want the best for my children.”
Waziri, an electrical engineer with a public water utility, is the only educated person with a job in a family of six. He took care of his siblings ever since they were in secondary school. He paid their school fees and rent when they finished school.
But he decided to withdraw from providing help when he was asked to take care of some of his brother’s children.
“I am not being stingy. I just want my young brothers to be independent. I want them to erase the mentality that the elder brother has to take care of the younger ones. And I think my move is working because I see them coping with the little money they make,” he says.
Waziri says that, ever since he stopped giving out money, he has improved his financial status. He bought a second house and a 25-acre farm.
Nevertheless, he still has this to say,” I have to reconcile with my brothers. I miss them.”

Kuna haja ya kuencourage culture ya individuality kwa mwendo huu.

Ama sivyo hata huyo cash cow atashindwa kufikia a paradigm shift.

Cash cow naye ajue kusema "hapana" akijisikia overextended.

Tunajua familial obligations go a long way in Africa, but look at the bigger picture.

At any given moment mtu ana mizinga 10 iko pending, tena si ya kitoto.

Kama asipofunga vioo ataendeleaje?

If one is doing this for the right reasons, and not being selfish per se, there is no isolation and the wise will understand.

No Jobs, No Security, No future, People feel the ground under their feet will slip , and Bongo's economic and social net cannot hold if they fall, ooops are already down below ground Zero, what is the cost of human in Tanzania? No answer, millions of Mlalahois are out of jobs an some never had a job, Government hospitals with no staff and medicine, ghost schools, corrupt Baboos, justice seekers in a long queue, No energy, No business, No Life, kila mtu ni kivyake vyake.

The politicians and the Government always use the public as re-election machine that handed out Big Super Jobs to political allies and supporters what new generations do? The offices filled with people doing nothing, the relatives and allies of government are in jobs it is the way to buy the vote, if your son is hired your whole family is the voter. The inefficient companies floated by state funds, so called ministries created, hundreds of Institution built up for political allies, political bribe an ongoing practice, contracts, jobs, businesses, only for specials, nothing for public, every one milking the cash cow.

Back
Top Bottom